Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Neighbourhood planning referendums

We will organise a referendum on any plan or order that meets the basic standards. This makes sure the community has the final say on whether a plan or order comes into force.

People living in the neighbourhood who are registered to vote in local elections can vote in a referendum. This will follow a similar process to that for local elections.

For more about neighbourhood plans, please see: Neighbourhood Development Plans (NDPs).

Referendum on the Park Ward Neighbourhood Plan

Referendum information

A referendum was held on Thursday 9th February 2023.

The question asked was:

Do you want Calderdale Council to use the Neighbourhood Plan for Park Ward to help it decide planning applications in the neighbourhood area?

The Referendum area is identified on the map below. This is the same area as the Park Ward Neighbourhood Plan Area.

A person can vote if:

  • They are are entitled to vote in a local government election in the referendum area;
  • and their qualifying address for the election is in the area. A person's qualifying address is, in relation to a person registered in the register of electors, the address in respect of which they are entitled to be so registered.

The expenses limit is £2,923.39.

The number of people that can vote is 9514. (Used to calculate expenses limit.)

It will be conducted in a way that is similar to that used at local government elections.




Timetable and results


We encourage anyone who intends to campaign to contact Electoral Services for more advice and information on the process:

Individuals/bodies (includes Councillors), can campaign for a particular outcome as 'campaign organisers', but public bodies cannot.

  • The Counting Officer administers the referendum.
  • The Local Planning Authority (Calderdale Council) may publish factual information. The sole purpose will be to refute or correct inaccurate material published by a person other than the Council.
  • Neither the Counting Officer or the Local Planning Authority can campaign for a particular outcome.

Note: Separately the Borough Council and Parish and Town Councils (which are public bodies) cannot campaign for a particular outcome.

Individual Councillors (Borough/Town/Parish) can campaign, but must not:

  • Use their council's resources to create campaign material.
  • Display posters or signage that seeks a particular outcome on Council owned property.
  • Seek to publish views for or against the referendum using Council channels.

The Borough Council (or Town/Parish Council) must not:

Campaigning expenses

Any campaign organiser may spend money on a campaign which seeks to promote or procure a particular outcome.

The maximum amount a campaign organiser may spend is: £2,362 plus (0.059p x N). N is the number of electors on the relevant register.

The exact amount that campaign organisers may spend is published in the Statement of Information 28 working days before the referendum.

There are certain items that may/may not be included in campaign expenses. For more details, visit: The Neighbourhood Planning (Referendums) Regulations 2012 (as amended).

Campaign organisers are encouraged to submit a statement of expenses to the Counting Officer via the Electoral Services team at after the conclusion of the referendum. Ideally this should be within 28 days of the date of the referendum, but there is no requirement in law for this.

It is an offence for a campaign organiser to exceed the referendum expenses limit however and, if found guilty, would be liable to a fine of up to £5,000 and/or imprisonment for up to 12 months. Submitting a statement of expenses to the Counting Officer may help to ensure you remain within the legal requirements and provides an independent audit trail of your expenses.

Advice on conduct of campaigns

Whilst there are no specific legal requirements for campaign groups at Neighbourhood Planning Referendums, the Electoral Commission has produced extensive guidance on conduct when campaigning at national referendums, which can be used as a guide.

Please be aware that the Counting Officer cannot give advice on what should or should not be included in campaign material and has no powers to regulate conduct. If you are unsure of any matter, you should seek your own independent legal advice.

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful