Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Combined sight and hearing loss

Here you can find information and services for people who have both sight and hearing impairments.

We aim to enable people with both hearing and sight loss to keep or improve their level of independence. We will do this by helping them with:

  • Communication.
  • Access to information.
  • Mobility.
  • Daily living tasks.

The Dual Sensory Specialist Worker liaises closely with:

  • The Rehabilitation Officers for People with a Visual Impairment;
  • and the Social Workers with Deaf People.

Communication skills

We can offer advice and training to help you maintain your reading, writing and listening skills.

You can be referred to the Social Worker with Deaf People or the Visual Impairment Team to learn skills, like:

  • Braille;
  • Moon;
  • typing.

Where appropriate the deafblind manual alphabet or block alphabet can be taught to Service Users, their carers and friends. These are tactile communication methods where words are spelt out onto the Service User’s palm.

Equipment for daily living

Our staff can advise and demonstrate a wide range of equipment. This includes alerting and amplifying equipment that can help you with your hearing loss, like:

  • extra loud doorbells;
  • and telephone amplifiers.

To help you with your sight loss we can demonstrate items of equipment. These can help you to keep your independence, like:

  • specialist lighting;
  • big button telephones.

Training in the safe use of equipment will be provided.

Resource Centre

We have a small Resource Centre at Glenholme, Green Lane, West Vale. This is for people who are visually impaired and/or hearing-impaired.

At the centre, we can show you a range of specialist equipment. Our staff can also arrange for you to try these out.

If you want us to, we can help you to order any of the items.

Note: Some equipment is available free of charge on permanent loan.

Getting help

Do you have sight and hearing problems that make it difficult for you to:

  • access information;
  • get out and about;
  • communicate with others?

You can ask for a visit from the Dual Sensory Team.

For example, you may have problems reading, even with glasses and struggle to hear clearly. We could be able to help you with information and/or equipment.

You may have developed sight and hearing difficulties as you got older or have been dual sensory impaired from birth.

Assessing your needs

To find out more or to ask for an assessment, please contact: Gateway to Care.

Carers who give significant and regular support can ask for a separate carer’s assessment (Carers Recognition Act 1995).

It may be fairly easy for our staff to meet your needs by:

  • helping you to get and use specialist equipment;
  • adapting the way you use your own equipment;
  • showing you other ways to use it.

You may be referred on to a Rehabilitation Officer for People with a Visual Impairment. This is for specialist help with your sight loss, like mobility training.

You may also be referred to the Hearing Impairment Team for specialist help with your hearing loss.

If other needs are found, like help with personal care, you can be referred for a Community Care Assessment. This would be with an Older People and Physical Disabilities Services team.

Specialist Inclusion Service

Support staff can assist children from birth until the end of their schooling.

Social Services and Education specialist workers liaise to give a cohesive, quality service.

For advice and guidance can be obtained from the Specialist Inclusion Team.

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful