Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Adaptations for the elderly and disabled

Here you can find details of what essential adaptations the Accessible Homes Agency can offer.

The Accessible Homes Agency assists with getting adaptations carried out for people with disabilities. This is to keep them independent at home or to help them find other accessible housing.

It also looks after:

  • Disabled Facilities Grants.
  • Minor Works Grants.
  • Relocation Loans.
  • Home Appreciation Loans.
  • We will also assist with accessing other financial help.

Minor Works Grants 

Walk-in shower

For small adaptations to the home like lever taps, grab rails and handrails. Often, they can be done for free, without waiting for an Occupational Therapy (OT) assessment or a means test.

For more about this, see: Minor works grants.

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG)

Can pay for large adaptations to your home. This is means tested and the works must first be recommended by an OT who will assess your needs.

To ask for a needs assessment from the Community Occupational Therapy Service, please contact: Gateway to Care.

We can also assist you if:

  • you want to pay for the works yourself;
  • or if you feel that moving house might be a better option.

Paying for adaptations

There is help available to pay for many adaptations depending on the work needed and your circumstances.

Most small adaptations are available free of charge if they are necessary for you to remain independent at home.

VAT and adaptations

Most adaptations are zero rated for VAT. So, you may not have to pay VAT for some or all of the work to your house.

For advice on this:


For more details or to talk to a member of the team, please contact:

Web chat: Our advisers are available to help, Monday to Friday, between 9am and 5pm. Chat now

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful