Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Essential housing repairs

Find out what help we offer homeowners on low incomes that need essential repairs to their home.

If you have roof damage after the recent storms

If you have a roof leak, please check your home insurance or roofing warranty. Especially if there have been recent storms, floods or landslides.

Calderdale Council does not employ roofers or have funds to offer for roofing repairs or replacements. Loans may be available via your mortgage provider or Local Credit Union.

Our service helps homeowners on low income who need essential housing repairs to their home.

The type of work available through the Healthy Homes Service includes:

  • Essential replacement windows and doors.
  • Essential roof replacements.
  • Essential Electrical rewiring.
  • Deal with damp or rot.
  • Renew defective gas or electrical installations.
  • Remedy structural issues.

We may offer a free survey of your property, plus an advisory service for any problems you may have.

If we cannot help, we may offer advice on where to find other services who may be able to help.

Please note: There is a two year waiting list for this service.

To ask for help for essential housing repairs in your home, please use our online form:

Request help from the Healthy Homes service

Please read our privacy notice to find out how we use your information.

Who can apply for financial assistance

You must meet all the below criteria:

  • Homeowners on low incomes or residents who are vulnerable and cannot access a commercial loan.
  • Homeowner must live in the property as their main residence.
  • Applicants must be aged 18 or above (no upper age limit).

What we offer free help and advice on

  • Survey your home and prepare a report of suitable works.
  • Advise on choice of suitable contractors.
  • Put works out for tender to approved contractors.
  • Fill out paperwork. This includes help to apply for Building Regulation approval, if needed.
  • Check work is carried out to a good standard.
  • Make sure any safety checks are carried out by the contractor and appropriate certificates/guarantees are provided.

Case study

Mrs B contacted the Home Improvement Service about problems with her old electrical wiring. After a routine check by the fire service, it was found to be unsafe. She was very concerned about this as she was on Guaranteed Pension Credit and did not have any disposable income. However, she did not have any outstanding mortgage and had a property that had recently been valued at £150,000.

She spoke to the caseworker who talked her through the options. She decided the Home Appreciation Loan was her best way forward to get the work done.

Mrs B was visited by one of our Technical Officers. They advised her that we would send out two separate experienced and approved contractors. Mrs B felt relieved that she did not have to do any of the organising herself. She felt reassured that the Council would take care of her needs.

Once the loan had been approved the chosen contractor was able to carry out the work. On completion, the technical officer visited the client. This was to make sure she was happy with the work and that all her needs had been met.

Mrs B said she was delighted with the work. Also, that the contractor had been very friendly and answered all her questions. She also felt happy and safe in her property once again.

Web chat: Our advisers are available to help, Monday to Friday, between 9am and 5pm. Chat now

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful