Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)


Information about getting medical help for your child and available medical and health services.

Every child is unique and develops at their own pace. They will meet their developmental milestones a little earlier or later than their friends.

If you have a concern about your child's behaviour, it can help to discuss it. Talk to the people who know your child best. This can be your health visitor, school nurse or Doctor (also known as your GP).

Getting medical help

There are three phone numbers you should know:

  • 111;
  • Your Doctor's surgery;
  • and 999 - if there is a threat to life emergency.

The NHS 111 service is a fast, easy and free way for people to get the right help. Whatever the health need is and 24 hours a day. You should use this number if:

  • you need medical care fast, but it is not an emergency;
  • you need health information or to be reassured about what to do next.

If speaking or hearing is a problem, you can use the NHS 111 service through a textphone: 18001 111.

If you suffer from a chronic health condition, it would be helpful to prepare a 'text template'. Store it in your phone to use when you need it.

Medical and health services

General NHS support

Annual Health Checks

Available from your GP for young people aged 14 and above with a Learning Disability. To find out more see: Learning Disability Services.

Get Your Rights

An interactive and accessible website helping explain to children and young people their rights when using the NHS. This was developed in partnership and co-produced with children and young people. It includes videos from young people telling their stories about how the rights have made a difference to them. There are also messages from professionals explaining why they value young people’s rights. It also has advice on what to do if young people are concerned their rights have not been respected. Visit: Get Your Rights.


Your doctor (GP) provides the first point of contact for most medical services. They can advise, treat and refer patients with any medical or emotional difficulties, visit: Find your GP .

Health visitors

Every family with a child under five has a named health visitor. They offer support and encourage families through the early years from pregnancy and birth to primary school and beyond. Also, where children are diagnosed with additional medical needs and require specialist support. You can access your health visitor through your GP surgery or your local health centre or clinic. To find your local health services, visit: Locala Calderdale Public Health Early Years’ Service (PHEYS) .

School nurses and the Special School Nursing Team

School nurses work with school-age children and their teachers, parents and carers. This is to make sure children and young people remain healthy. The Calderdale school nurses have a particular focus on the management of long-term conditions in schools. They can also give individual support for you and your child. This can be advice on health issues to referring your child to specialist services and more. For more details, visit: School nursing service.

The Special School nursing team is managed by Calderdale and Huddersfield Foundation Trust. They offer support, advice and early intervention over a range of health-related matters. Care is tailored to meet your needs. They are based in Woodbank School, Highbury School and Ravenscliffe School. You can contact them through your child's school. For more about this, please read: 


It is very important that you take your child to visit a dentist from an early age. This gets them used to the sounds and smells of the dental surgery. It will make them feel more at ease with visits throughout their life. If you do not have a Dentist, visit: Find a Dentist .

Locala Dental Services have been specifically designed for children, young people and adults with special needs. It is for those who cannot be seen within the general dental service. They also provide emergency care for unregistered children up to their 16th birthday.

Take a look at the oral health booklet: Healthy Teeth, Healthy Smile. The key messages are:

  • Brush your teeth last thing at night and on at least one other occasion with fluoride toothpaste.
  • Cut down on how much sugary food and drinks you have, and how often you have them.
  • Visit your dentist regularly, as often as they recommend.

If you would like a paper copy of the booklet, please contact Unique Ways, phone: 01422 343 090.

Leaving hospital information packs

These are to help patients in specialist learning disability or mental health, hospital services when planning to leave hospital.

The Independence Pack has lots of useful information including:

  • When will I be discharged?
  • Where will I live?
  • Getting help from an advocate
  • Who will support me?
  • What are my rights?
  • What services can I use in the community?
  • What if things don’t go to plan?

Download the pack here: 

Leaving Hospital Planner

The Leaving Hospital Planner helps you work with others to make good plans for leaving hospital. You can use it to record information that you and the people who support you need to know. This includes your hopes and choices, as part of the plan. It also helps you keep track of meetings and who is doing what to make the plan happen.

Download the Leaving Home Planner here: Discharge Planner .

NHS England: STOMP and STAMP

A leaflet for families of children and young people:

  • with a learning disability, autism or both;
  • who may be prescribed (or are prescribed) psychotropic medication.

For more details:

  • visit: STOMP (STopping Over Medication of People).
  • Visit: STAMP (Supporting Treatment and Appropriate Medication in Paediatrics).

Calderdale Council health services

Although many services are provided by the NHS, some are provided by Calderdale Council such as:

Specialist Inclusion Service (SIS)

This service offers support and intervention for children and young people aged 0-19 years. It is for those with hearing, visual and multi-sensory impairment, physical impairments and Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD).

Support is provided in the home, pre-school setting or through school and links with parents and carers are maintained.

For more details, see: Specialist Inclusion Service.


This team sits within the Specialist Inclusion team. It works specifically with children and young people who have a significant visual impairment. The habilitation specialists and assistant work with the qualified teachers of the visually impaired. This is to make sure children and young people maximise their potential.

The Habilitation Specialist offers support and training in all aspects of mobility and independence. This might include keeping safe, long cane training, personal care, cookery as well as social and emotional support.

Referrals can be made directly to the service by phone: 01422 394136. Also, through the young persons qualified teacher of the visually impaired. 

For more details, read: 

Known children with medical needs (KCME) team

This team gives education to children and young people. It is for those that are unable to attend schools, for a long period, due to medical needs. This happens at suitable venues like, at home, within a school or centre, or on the Calderdale Royal Children's ward. F

or more details, see: Children with medical needs.

Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA)

Life-saving advice for everyone, everywhere! For ideas on keeping under-5s safe, visit: Keeping Kids Safe. They also have a wealth of information across all areas of accident prevention. This includes safety on the road, at home, at work and leisure at play and in schools and colleges.

For more details, contact:

Healthwatch Calderdale

An independent charity who gather and represent the views of everyone that uses health and social care services in Calderdale. Get in touch to let them know what is working well and what needs to be changed. They will use your feedback to:

  • tell services about your experiences of care and hold them to account;
  • investigate problems and seek solutions;
  • have a say in how local services are delivered and designed.

Visit: Healthwatch Calderdale.

Sustainability and Transformation Plan

The Five Year Forward View (published in 2014), sets out a vision of a better NHS. The steps we should take to get us there and how everyone involved needs to work together.

The vision for West Yorkshire and Harrogate is, "everyone to have the best possible outcomes for their health and wellbeing".

For more details, visit: West Yorkshire and Harrogate Sustainability and Transformation plan.

Transforming Care Partnership

Transforming Care Partnership is all about improving health and care services. So, more people can continue to live in their local community, with the right support and close to home. It means less people needing to go into hospital for care, as services in their local community are much better

The Partnership works with people that have a learning disability, autism or both (and their families and carers). This is to agree and deliver local plans for the programme.

For more details, please read: 

Healthy Early Years app

Calderdale Council and the Calderdale Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) have created a website and mobile app called Healthy Early Years. They are packed with top tips to support your 0-5 year old to be healthy, happy and safe.

For more details, please visit: Healthy early years - A parent's guide from birth to five.


Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful