Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Short breaks for children

Find details of breaks for disabled children and young people on this page.

A short break can give disabled children and young people the chance to have an enjoyable experience.

This can be with or without their parents or carer. It can also give parents and carers a break by providing an extra pair of hands to make everyday things possible.

The break can take the form of:

  • Daytime support in the home or elsewhere.
  • Overnight support in the home or elsewhere.
  • Leisure activities outside the home.
  • Assistance for carers in the evenings, at weekends and during school holidays.

It can be for a couple of hours to days. This will depend on your child's:

  • Needs and aspirations;
  • the impact their disability has on family life;
  • and their age.

How to apply

We have many opportunities available for children with SEND through direct access, such as:

  • the Play Development Service;
  • and Calderdale Disability Sport.

These are funded by Short Breaks and you do not need to fill in any forms or go to Panel. (This is also known as Universal and Targeted Services.)

Please see our Leisure and Family Services Directory for local activities. To access these, just contact the venue or organiser.

If your child is not able to access or requires more support than these are able to offer, complete a Short Breaks application. (The form will give the Panel has an overall picture of your child's needs and daily life.)

To get a form:

  • Email: (We will also send you a Parent-Carer Needs Assessment form.)
  • For a paper copy, please contact:
    • Your local Children's Centres.
    • Calderdale's Local Offer.
    • Unique Ways.
    • Family Voice Calderdale.
    • The Short Breaks Panel Administrator.
    • Your child's school.

If you have a social worker, behaviour nurse or family support worker, they can help you through the process. To find out more about this, see: Short breaks for children process.

Short breaks service statement

This statement has been prepared in partnership with Calderdale Family Voice. We are committed to continuous improvement, so welcome feedback from parent and carers to add to any review. To see the statement and more, please read:

Into the future

We will consult with parents/carers and young people who use this service in the near future. We want to know:

  • What can we do better?
  • Where the needs are for future short breaks?

For more details, please email:


Ways to find out about short breaks:

  • Contact the Disabled Children Family Link Co-ordinator for further details:
    • Phone: 01422 394087.
    • Mobile: 07775 110188.
  • A professional who works with your child can find out for you. This could be a social worker, community nurse, family support worker or someone else who you trust.
  • Ask another parent! Parents tell us that speaking to each other is one of the best ways to find out about them. If you want to be put in touch with another parent, contact Unique Ways:

For more details or to give feedback, please contact:

Commissioning and Partnerships Team:

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful