Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Education welfare

This service will liaise between home and school, also between parents and the local authority.

This is service works with a number of schools through a traded service model.

What we look after:

  • School attendance.
  • Elective home education.
  • Children missing education.
  • Exclusions.
  • Holidays in term-time.
  • Child performance licences.
  • Work permits and employment of children guidelines.

We can:

  • Advise on a range of issues, but if a school does not have a traded service contract:
    • This will be for advice only.
    • We will encourage parents to discuss issues with the school.
  • Signpost you to the right contact.

Only schools with a Traded Service contract will have a named Education Welfare Officer. These work with school staff to support dialogue that involves:

  • parents;
  • pupils;
  • and other services.

This is to help pupils:

  • Attend regular.
  • Behave acceptably.
  • Contribute in a positive and beneficial way to the school community.
  • Be informed on a range of welfare matters.


For general queries

Duncan Thorpe (Education Welfare Service) from Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5pm:

For Child Employment and Entertainment queries

Education Welfare (Children and Young People's Service):

  • Address: 1st Floor, Princess Buildings, Princess Street, Halifax. HX1 1TP.
  • Phone: 01422 266125.
  • Email:

Web chat: Our advisers are available to help, Monday to Friday, between 9am and 5pm. Chat now

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful