Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Roads, pavement defects and markings

Here you can let us know if you are aware of any roads, pavement or markings defects in the highway.

Road and pavement defects

If you are aware of a highway defect, please let us know. To reply to your enquiry quickly, we need:

  • The street name and area.
  • The location along the street - is it near a house number or landmark?
  • A detailed description of the defect.
  • Your full name and a contact phone number.
  • If reporting damage:
    • The date and time that it happened (if known).
    • The person, company or vehicle registration responsible for the damage (if known).

Report it online

Report a road or pavement defect

Report damaged or missing manhole cover

Paving stone theft

This is a serious crime. Not only are thieves causing safety hazards for pedestrians, but they are also stealing Calderdale's heritage. Thefts of this nature have a major impact on our resources, which includes the costs to make the area safe.

Report any suspicious actions to the Police on phone: 101, calls will be treated in confidence. If you prefer, you can make an anonymous report to: Crimestoppers.

Do not make any direct approach to anyone suspected of stealing paving stones.

There are items of street furniture and property on the highway that is not the responsibility of Calderdale Council. These include:

  • Cellar lights and covers.
  • Phone boxes or cable cabinets.
  • Inspection covers, stop tap boxes and fire hydrants.

Reports of damage to any of these will be passed to the utility company.

For details of roadworks in Calderdale, see: Roadworks.

Road markings

We carry out regular highway inspections to locate defective road markings. We also rely on members of the public informing us of lines that become faded where they live.

It is illegal for members of the public to place road marking on the adopted highways. Note: Illegal road markings may be removed and the costs involved re-charged.

If you know of any defective lines or if you want extra/new street lining, please contact us. We can offer advice and check to see if lining is correct for the place you are asking for. Please contact us.

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful