Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Water supplies

Here you can find out about Calderdale's main water suppliers and advice for people with private supplies.

Public supplies

In general, Calderdale's water supplies are the responsibility of Yorkshire Water. Telephone: 0345 1242424.

In the Walsden area, properties with OL14 6T, 6U, 6X and 7U postcodes may get water from United Utilities.

This public supply of water is also called 'treated', 'chlorinated', 'mains' and 'town' water. Some houses are not served by Yorkshire Water or United Utilities, but by Private Water Supplies (PWS).

Enquiries and complaints about Yorkshire Water

Reports on mains water quality in Water Supply Zones (WSZ) can be found on the companies websites.

Complaints about water quality or pressure should be made directly to the company. We can deal with some complaints, but we usually ask Yorkshire Water to look at any issue first.

Property owners can be responsible for pipes that connect to the mains supply and for internal plumbing fittings. It can be that the pipes or fittings are affecting the water quality. If this is the case, we can ask you to resolve any problem.

Please contact Consumer Council for Water who can help you resolve complaints against water company or retailer, whilst providing free advice and support. Visit: Consumer Council for Water.

Spring or Private Water Supplies (PWS)

About 1800 Calderdale properties get water from local springs, wells, boreholes or streams. Some of these are in Yorkshire Water or United Utilities WSZ. Those that are may be able to connect to the mains.

PWS are often poorly protected. The condition of the water pipes/tanks and the nature/use of land can lead to water contamination. This can be throughout the year or after a period of wet weather that washes contamination into the supply. The quantity of water available can also be seasonally affected.

By law, a sufficient quantity of wholesome water must be available for drinking and sanitation for most situations. For more about this, see: Water Industry Act 1991- Domestic purposes. This is often from a tap inside a building, even though some people choose to drink bottled water. You can be held responsible for the supply if you are:

  • the owner or occupier of premises served by it;
  • a person that manages or controls the water source.

There may be more requirements for food businesses. For more details, visit: Food standards agency.

Where disinfection (like ultraviolet treatment) equipment is installed it is the duty of:

  • the owner or occupier of the premises served;
  • or the person who manages the water source, to ensure that its effectiveness is maintained and verified.

By law, every five years we must do risk assessments on supplies that serve more than one property. We must also test water from these supplies:

  • Twice each year;
  • annually;
  • every five years;
  • or at other times as the need arises.

Note: You can also ask for a risk assessment and/or water testing. There will be a charge for this. We also must keep records about supplies and properties they serve.

For useful and free advice on how to protect spring water supplies from being contaminated:

You can also contact the Council's Community Protection Team. We have a list of people who install water treatment or sink boreholes.

Details of other contractors may be sought on the Internet or in a phone directory.

If your private water supply fails, you can seek Emergency water supplies.


Community Safety:

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful