Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

How to register a stillbirth

This page will give you step-by-step guidance on what is required to register a stillbirth that took place in England or Wales.

If you would rather speak to someone personally, please contact staff at Calderdale Register Office who will be able to give you more information.

The legal definition of a stillbirth

  • "A child born after the 24th week of pregnancy, who did not show any signs of life after being born."

Note: A child who breathed or showed other signs of life is considered live-born for registration purposes. This is irrespective of the number of weeks duration of the pregnancy.

Why a registration is necessary

Stillbirth registration began in 1927 to help protect infant life.

As well as being an important source of historical and statistical information:

  • It gives the parents the chance to have their child officially acknowledged;
  • and to give him or her a name, if they wish to.

Book an appointment

To register a stillbirth, contact: Calderdale Register Office.

Who should register?

It all depends if the parents were married to each other at the time of the stillbirth or conception. If they were, then either the mother or father can register.

If the parents were not married, then who attends will depend on a number of factors:

  • If the mother wants the father's details to be entered in the register, then both parents can sign the stillbirth register together.
  • If the father cannot go to the Register Office with the mother, but the mother still want his details included:
    • He can make a statutory declaration, which the mother must give to the Registrar.
  • If the mother cannot go to the Register Office with the father:
    • She can make a statutory declaration to acknowledge the father's paternity, which the father must give to the Registrar.

The statutory declaration form is available from the Register Office. One parent only needs to do this and it must be made before a:

  • Justice of the peace;
  • magistrate;
  • commissioner for oaths;
  • practising solicitor;
  • notary public;
  • licensed conveyancer;
  • authorised advocate;
  • or authorised litigator.

If the father's details are not recorded in the stillbirth register, it may be possible for the stillbirth to be re-registered at a later date. Please contact the Register Office for details of this procedure.

Although parents register the majority of stillbirths, sometimes neither the mother nor father are able to attend. If this is the case then please contact the Register Office.

When and where to register

Normally within 42 days.( A stillbirth cannot be registered more than 3 months after it happened.)

The stillbirth will normally be registered at the Register Office for the district in which it happened - or another one if it is more convenient. Remember that things take a bit longer if you go to an office out of the district. This is because the registrar will need to forward your information to the original district who will then post any certificates to you. Your midwife will normally tell you who to contact and may help you make an appointment to come in to the Register Office.

Documents you will need

All you need to take is the medical certificate of stillbirth issued by the doctor or midwife present at the time (and a form 16 if you need one).

What information we will ask you for

The registrar will ask for the following details:


  • Date and place of stillbirth.
  • Forenames and surname (if the parents wish to name the stillborn child).
  • Sex of the child.


  • Forename(s) and surname.
  • Date and place of birth.
  • Occupation.


  • Forename (s) and surname.
  • Maiden surname if the mother is, or has been, married.
  • Date and place of birth.
  • Occupation.
  • Usual address at the time of the stillbirth.
  • Date of marriage, if married to the still-born child's father at the time of the stillbirth.
  • Number of previous children by the present husband and by any former husband.

It is very important that all the information recorded in the register is completely correct. Mistakes can take quite a bit of time and trouble to put right. The person who registers the stillbirth should check the information very carefully before signing the entry.

Documents you will be given

  • A certificate of registration;
  • and a form for the funeral director.

Note: Both these are issued free of charge. You can also buy a full copy of the entry at the appointment

How to get a certificate for an historic stillbirth entry

Due to the sensitive nature of stillbirth registrations, the procedure for ordering copy certificates differs from other types of certificates. Apart from very recent events, the General Register Office holds records of all stillbirths registered in England and Wales since 1st July 1927. Certified copies of these records can only be obtained with the Registrar General's consent. The following conditions apply:

  • A certificate will only be issued to the mother or father of a stillborn child. (The father's details would need to be recorded in the register entry for him to be able to obtain a certificate).
  • Siblings may apply if their mother and father are no longer alive. They should send details of their parents' dates of death with their application.

Stillbirth certificates can only be obtained from the General Register Office in Southport.

For more about this, phone or write to:

  • General Register Office (still births)
  • Email:
  • Telephone: 0300 123 1837
  • General Register Office

    Room D209 Smedley Hydro

    Trafalgar Road


    PR8 2HH

To get information on how to register a stillbirth in Scotland or Northern Ireland, visit:

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful