Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Housing Benefit

Check if you are eligible for help with paying your rent and how to make a claim.

How much will I get?

You can check what benefits you may be entitled to before you apply.

Benefit calculators

You may get help with up to 100% of your rent. There is no set amount.

It depends on things like:

  • Household income
  • Whether you rent from a private landlord or a Registered Social Landlord
  • Who lives with you

If you rent from a private landlord, housing benefit may be restricted to the Local Housing Allowance rate. These rates are based on the number of rooms you need.

Search for Local Housing Allowance rates

If you rent from a Registered Social Landlord such as Together Housing, housing benefit may be restricted if you have any spare bedrooms. This is known as the Bedroom Tax.

For more information, see: Housing Benefit – What you’ll get (GOV.UK).

Make a claim

You can only claim Housing Benefit if you rent your home and any of the following apply:

  • You are over state pension age.
  • You live in:
    • supported accommodation.
    • temporary accommodation.
    • accommodation provided by the Local Authority.

Otherwise, you must claim Universal Credit for help with your rent.

Apply for benefits

Direction of Chief Executive regarding Housing Benefit claims and Council Tax Reduction Applications

Direction of Robin Tuddenham Chief Executive of the, Borough Council of Calderdale under the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit (Electronic Communications) Order 2006 and Part 4, Paragraph 11 of Schedule 7 to the Council Tax Reduction Schemes (Prescribed Requirements) (England) Regulations 2012.

This page sets out the Council's legal obligation to publicly state our policy regarding electronic collection of data relating to Housing Benefit claims and Council Tax Reduction applications.

The Borough of Calderdale (the Authority) in accordance with: For Housing Benefit:

  • Paragraph 2 of Schedule 11 to the Housing Benefit Regulations 2006
  • Paragraph 2 of Schedule 10 to the Housing Benefit (Persons who have attained the qualifying age for state pension credit) Regulations 2006

For Council Tax Reduction:

  • Schedule 1 Part 4 of the Calderdale Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2014

Hereby makes the following directions:

  1. Providing the method approved by the Authority is used, electronic communication may be used in the following circumstances:

    • Making a claim for Housing Benefit and/or an application for a Council Tax Reduction
    • Amending a claim for Housing Benefit and/or an application for a Council Tax Reduction
    • Notifying a change in circumstances for a Housing Benefit claim and/or a Council Tax Reduction application
  2. The methods approved by the Authority for using electronic communication are as follows:
    • The claim/application form used must be that which is on the Authority's website
    • The form must be completed in accordance with the instructions set out on the website
    • Any notification of a change in circumstances must be notified by completing the relevant form on the Authority's website
    • Any person sending an electronic communication to the Authority must clearly state their full name, full postal address date of birth and national insurance number. Any communication where the Authority is unable to authenticate the identity of the sender shall be deemed invalidly made
  3. The Authority may accept digital photographic and scanned images of notices, forms, evidence, and information provided by a person where it has been verified by an officer of the Authority or its agent. Where it has not been verified the Authority may request to see the original where its authenticity cannot be corroborated by other means.
  4. The person must keep a copy of any electronic communication, reference number generated, claim/application, certificate, notice, information, or evidence so that it can be produced where the Authority so requires. Failure to produce on reasonable request the evidence requested may be deemed to show that an electronic communication was not successfully made to the Authority.
  5. The Authority's 'official computer system' for the purposes of recording information relating to electronic communications is owned, developed and managed by Calderdale Council for the Revenues and Benefits Service.
  6. The Authority may require further information or original supporting evidence before the claim for Housing Benefit and/or application for a Council Tax Reduction can be assessed/revised. The Authority may verify claims/applications, certificates, notices, information or evidence by using third party systems and sources of information as well as by direct contact with a person using electronic communications or by some other means.
  7. Any claim/application, amendment or notification received that:
    1. Does not conform to any of the relevant standards will be invalid
    2. Does conform to the above standard but is not accepted by the Authority's official computer system, is not regarded as having been delivered.
  8. This direction may be withdrawn or amended at any time by the issue of a further

Signed by

Robin Tuddenham, Chief Executive

Date: 12th March 2018

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful