Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Universal Credit

What is Universal Credit (UC), who should claim it, how to claim and more.

About Universal Credit (UC)

It is part of the Government's Welfare Reform and will be dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions. For more details or to apply, please visit: Universal Credit (GOV.UK).

It replaces six benefits with a single monthly payment, if you are out of work or on a low income. These are:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance.
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
  • Income Support.
  • Working Tax Credit.
  • Child Tax Credit.
  • Housing Benefit.

Claims can be made in Calderdale. This applies to everyone who would have made a claim for any of the benefits listed above before, unless they:

  • Live in supported or temporary accommodation.
  • Are a person over State Pension Age.

Please note: These people will still claim Housing Benefit.

UC does not replace Council Tax Reduction. (All claims for this should be submitted on our Benefits Application Form.)

What do you need to do?

If you already claim a benefit

If it is one of the six benefits that will be replaced by UC, this will continue for now.

If your circumstances:

  • Stay the same, you will be invited to apply. This will happen at some point in the future, as it is extended to more groups.
  • Change, you may be asked to apply for UC sooner.

If you are making a new benefit claim

If you are:

  • Newly unemployed you may be eligible to make a claim.
  • Not eligible, you will be advised to claim other benefits as normal.

Use the personal planner to see how you will be affected, visit: Universal Credit guides (GOV.UK). This takes 5 to 10 minutes to complete.

Making a claim

This is online ONLY.

  • If you cannot get online at home, you do this at any Calderdale Library.
  • If you need support to make a claim, we can help, so please: Contact us.

Before you start your online claim

Note: You cannot save your application and return to it later. So before you start, please make sure you have:

  • Your National Insurance Number.
  • Details of the bank, building society or Post Office account where you want your UC paid into.
  • Your rent agreement (if you have one).
  • Details of your savings or other capital.
  • Details of any non earned income, like from an insurance plan.
  • Details of any other benefits you are getting.

To apply

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful