Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

When your baby is eight to 12 weeks old

  • Look at what Children's Centres have to offer. Such as a home visit to introduce you to their activities or Baby Stay and Play groups.
  • Find out what activities are in your local community to support you, your baby and your well-being. Such as parent and baby groups to meet other families.
  • Vaccinations are offered to your baby at 12 weeks.

Child development

All children develop at their own pace as they learn about themselves, their family and their world.

For information on how your child will grow in their first 12 weeks and up to being aged two years:

At two months old your baby may be:

  • Wide-eyed and curious.
  • Beginning to track objects or people with their eyes.
  • Starting to push up when on his/her belly and hold their head up.
  • Turn towards different sounds.
  • Making cooing noises.
  • Starting to smile at familiar faces.
  • Being more aware of the world around them

For a parent's guide from birth to five years, with a wealth of information for families, visit: Healthy Early Years.

Parental support to child

  • Engage in skin-to-skin contact and baby massage (NCT).
  • Hold your baby close to your face and making eye contact.
  • Engage with your baby by talking to them when they make cooing noises.
  • Give your baby a safe space to enable them to move their head, arms and legs freely.

Advice and support

For general health and learning, see: Advice and support. (New born to 5 years old).

Any other key information and useful websites

Things to think about

If you think you need urgent help (day or night), before you go to any other health service, phone: 111.

  • You will be directed straight away to the local service that can help you best.
  • It is available anytime, everyday and is free to call from a mobile or landline.

You should phone: 111:

  • When you need help fast, but it is not life threatening.
  • When you think you need to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service.
  • When it is outside of your GP's surgery hours.
  • When you do not know who to call for medical help.
  • If you do not have a local GP to call.

Important note: For serious and life-threatening emergencies, phone: 999.

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful