Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Energy efficiency schemes

Information on current grants and funding to insulate your home.

We have various schemes running throughout the year that could support you with the cost of insulation and heating measures.

They change often and for some you may qualify for the work to be fully funded.

Each scheme has different criteria to qualify. For most schemes you do not need to be claiming a benefit.

Even if you have not been eligible before, this may change with different schemes.

If you do not qualify for any subsidies, interest free loans may be available for low-income owner occupier households.

Fitting insulation to your home will stop heat escaping. This will make it feel warmer for longer and cheaper to heat.

Our Healthy Homes Service can help owner occupiers/private tenants make their homes warmer, more comfortable and cheaper to heat.

Social Housing Tenants will need to contact their housing provider.

Making your home more energy efficient has a number of benefits:

  • Improved overall comfort.
  • Lower energy bills.
  • Reduced carbon emissions.
  • Health benefits.

Current schemes

Warmth on Prescription

Do you:

  • Own your own home?
  • Have a long-term or chronic health condition made much worse by living in a cold home?
  • Get a qualifying benefit or have a low household income?

If you can answer yes to these questions you may be able to apply for this grant.


You or someone you live with suffers from one of these conditions:

  • Atrial fibrillation (AF) - heart flutter.
  • Angina/Coronary heart disease (CHD).
  • Heart failure.
  • High blood pressure - hypertension.
  • Peripheral arterial disease (PAD) - swollen arteries in legs.
  • A transient ischaemic attack (TIA) - mini stroke.
  • Severe Asthma.
  • Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
  • Rheumatoid arthritis.
  • Osteoporosis/brittle bones.
  • Diabetes.
  • Cancer.

Note: You will need to provide a letter from your GP surgery or Practice/District Nurse. This is to confirm your health condition and that it is made worse by living in the cold. The GP/Practice/District Nurse must determine this.

  • These letters may be chargeable.
  • GP surgeries can take up to six weeks to do a letter.

Grants of up to 50% (maximum £5,000) are available for the cost of heating and insulation. Work that can be carried out with this grant includes:

  • A new gas central heating boiler, if the existing boiler cannot be repaired.
  • A new gas central heating system, for properties on electric heating or solid fuel.
  • Standard loft and cavity wall insulation.
  • Non-standard insulation, such as solid wall insulation or polyurethane foam.

You will qualify for the scheme if you are:

  • Over 18, suffer from one of the above conditions and:
    • earn less than £31,000 per year;
    • and have less than £3,000 in savings.
  • Under 20, suffer from one of the above conditions and in full time education.

Contact us

  • Phone: 01422 392199.
  • Online form:

Request help from the Healthy Homes service

To find out how we use your details, please read our privacy notice.

Affordable Warmth Scheme for Owner Occupiers

Please note: We do not provide financial assistance towards energy costs. For help with energy bills, please visit: Financial support for energy bills (Together Housing).

Who the scheme is for

  • Owner occupiers with saving up to £6,000 only:
    • who have a gross household income less than £31k per year, which includes benefits and any earnings;
    • or who are in receipt of a qualifying means tested benefit.

Qualifying benefits:

  • Council Tax Support or Reduction. (Note: This does not include single person occupancy discount.)
  • Housing Benefit.
  • Income Support.
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance.
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
  • Pension Credit.
  • Social Fund - Sure Start Maternity Grant and Funeral Payment.
  • Tax Credits - Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit.
  • Universal Credit.

What the scheme can cover

Small boiler repairs:

  • £750 maximum. (This does not apply for residents who have already had a small boiler repair through Calderdale Council.)

One-off gas boiler safety check and/or service:

  • £750 maximum. (This does not apply for residents who have already had a safety check and/or service through Calderdale Council.)

Boiler replacement:

  • £750 towards the cost of a new boiler completed by a CMBC approved contractor. (This does not fund enabling works.)

Standard Loft Insulation:

Cavity Wall Insulation PAS2035 (fibre or polybead):

Boiler thermostat and heating controls:

  • £400 maximum. (This does not fund Thermostatic Radiator Valves.)

Temporary heaters:

  • These can be loaned out If your boiler breaks down and are to be returned.

Enabling works

This is other work that needs to be done to complete an improvement, such as:

  • A repair on a roof.
  • Move items in and out of a loft.
  • Replace gas pipes.

Important notes:

  • Customers may not be entitled to all the measures listed .
  • Measures are available subject to survey and funds. Works will be determined by the contracted agent.
  • All work will be carried out by a Council Approved Contractor. We will not pay for contractors you have acquired yourself.
  • We are under no obligation to proceed with any application.

If you believe you may qualify, please complete our online form:

Request help from the Healthy Homes service

To find out how we use your details, please read our privacy notice.

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful