Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Moving out

Can I give notice to my landlord?

Generally you cannot give notice to quit the tenancy before the end of the fixed term, unless:

  • There is a clause in the agreement allowing you to do so;
  • or your landlord agrees to you breaking the agreement.

You can give one months' notice to expire at the end of the fixed term.

Once the fixed term expires and no new fixed term has been agreed you can give one months' notice.

What should I do if I want to move out?

  • Give your landlord your notice if necessary.
  • Check and sign the inventory with your landlord.
  • Contact your electricity and gas suppliers to get the services disconnected.
  • If you claim benefits you must notify them of your change in circumstances.
  • Clean the property.
  • Contact the landlord to hand back the keys.
  • Reclaim your deposit once your landlord is satisfied that the bills have been paid and no damage has been done to the property.

Either the landlord, agent or tenant should inform the Council when tenants move into or leave a property. A tenant can inform the Council by completing the online form: 

Report a Council Tax change of address

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful