Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Building control forms

Find application types, forms and guidance here.

Submit a Building Regulations application

You can apply online, by email or via the post.


Apply for Building Regulations

Email or post

Complete and return the correct form below. Before you do this, please see: Duty holders and compliance.

Building Regulation approval with Full Plans

To apply, please complete this form:

Please note: This must have two signatures:

  • The applicant or agent;
  • and the client. (This confirms they agree to the application and their details are correct.)

Building Notice or Regularisation

To apply, please complete this form:

Note: Please make sure you record the full name of the person making the application (such as, Mr Fred Smith).

Charges for your application

To find the right fee, please see: Service charges.

If you are not sure what charge applies for you, email: and state:

  • Your name;
  • site address;
  • details of the work you propose to undertake;
  • estimated cost of works;
  • and the floor area (if an extension).

Ways to pay


Pay for Building Control services


  • We have limited availability to take calls from Monday to Friday (9.30am to 12.30pm): 01422 392291.
  • If your call is not answered, please leave a message and we will call you back. We will need to know your:
    • Full name;
    • contact phone number;
    • site address or application number.

    Please note: We aim to return calls within two working days (Monday to Friday only).

Additional guidance

Guidance notes on completing application forms

These notes give guidance to complete the Building Control forms and general guidance for all application types.

If you have a query or need more information, please contact: Building Control Services.

Application form guidance

Application type

Choose the type of application you want to submit (select the correct box), Full Plans, Building Notice or Regularisation.

For more guidance, see 

Applicant's details

This is usually the owner/occupier.

The Completion Certificate will be issued to the person/company named.

Agent's details (if applicable)

This is the applicant's representative, which is often the architect or builder.

All correspondence about the application will be sent to this address.

If there is no agent, leave this blank and all correspondence go to the applicant.

Location of building to which work relates

This is the address where the work will be carried out.

Proposed work (or work carried out)

Briefly describe the work to be done and include the date that works will start (if known) in 'Date of commencement'.

Use of building

State the proposed and/or present uses of the building, such as domestic or commercial.

Additional information

Include the planning application number if applicable.

  • Show the source of the water to be used.
  • Also, where the foul water and surface water will be drained to.

Details for Yorkshire Water

Answer Yes or No to each question.


Enter the estimated cost of the work to be carried out.

  • The 'Total floor area' should be the total internal floor area. If multiple storey, include the total of all levels.
  • This only applies to new buildings or extensions.


Refer to the Guidance notes on charges for the relevant charge.

For Full Plans applications, let us know where the Inspection Invoice should be sent to, applicant or agent.

If known, enter the fees for the type of application you submit.

Note: Payment can be made via our website when you apply online. You can also pay over the phone with a debit/credit card.

For help with charges or to pay over the phone, please contact: Building Control Services.

General notes for all application types

1. General notes

1.1 Persons proposing to carry out building work or make a material change of use of the building are reminded that this application is for Building Regulations only. Permission may be required under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended) .

For more guidance, please contact:

1.2 These notes are for general guidance only; particulars regarding the deposit of plans are contained in Regulations 12, 13 and 14 of the Building Regulations 2010 and, in respect of charges, in the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010.

1.3 If your proposal involves the installation of a septic tank, consent for the discharge will be required from the Environment Agency , email

1.4 Where the work referred to is not started within three years of the date of deposit, the application will become invalid.

2. Full plans

2.1 This notice should be completed and submitted with plans and particulars in duplicate. The plans must include:

  1. Block plan - not less than 1:2500 (if new build or extension work);
  2. Foundation, floor and roof plans - not less than 1:100;
  3. Elevations - not less than 1:100;
  4. Sections - not less than 1:100;
  5. details as necessary;
  6. calculations as necessary, eg structural, thermal insulation, etc.

2.2 Charges are usually payable in two stages. The first charge must accompany the deposit of plans and the second charge is payable after the first site inspection. The second charge is a single payment in respect of each individual building, to cover all site visits and consultations, which may be necessary until the work is satisfactorily completed.

It is the agent's duty to inform the applicant of their inspection charge liability.

2.3 Local Authority Building Control (LABC) Services provide a Partner Authority Scheme (PAS) for developers, etc who wish to partner with an Authority of their choice that will deal with all their applications throughout the country.

3. Building notices

3.1 One copy of this notice should be completed and submitted.

3.2 Where the proposed work includes the erection of a new building or extension, this notice shall be accompanied by a block plan to a scale of not less than 1:1250. This will show:

  1. Size and position of the building or the building as extended and its relationship to adjoining boundaries.
  2. Boundaries of the curtilage of the building or the building as extended and the size, position and use of the every other building or proposed building within that curtilage.
  3. Provision to be made for the draining of the building or extension.

3.3 The building notice charge is calculated in line with current charges regulations and is payable at the time of submission. Please see: Guidance notes on charges, which are for general guidance only. Particulars around the submission of building notices are in Regulations 12 and 13 of the Building Regulations 2010. (In respect of charges, in the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010.)

3.4 A full plans application is required for any work to a building other than a single dwelling. Note: Also where it is proposed to build over a public sewer.)

4. Regularisation certificates

4.1 Regularisation certificates cannot be issued for work carried out before 11th November 1985.

4.2 The application must be accompanied by the correct charge. These are individually determined, please contact us for the charge: Building Control Services.

Note: VAT is not payable on this charge.

If you need any help or guidance to complete the form, please contact: Building Control Services.

Data protection clause

Calderdale MBC will ensure that any personal information provided by you on the application form will be treated in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 2018. Calderdale MBC is the Data Controller of the information you have provided on the application form and is registered with the Information Commissioner's Office for the purposes of processing your personal information in relation to your application.

The Council must protect the public fund it handles. So we may use the information that you provide to prevent and detect fraud. We may also share this information, for the same purposes, with other organisations which handle public funds. We will not share it for any other purpose, without your explicit consent.

For more about this, please phone the Council's Information Management Coordinator: 01422 392298.

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful