Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

How to enrol

When you've found the right course for you, you can enrol online.

We recommend that you enrol via our website

Please follow these three steps:

  1. Find a course

    Select the 'Find a course' button on our website and locate the course you wish to enrol on. We advise you to read the course content detail to ensure the course meets your needs before completing the next step. 

    Note: If you need more information, advice or guidance before you enrol, please phone us: 01422 392820.

  2. Select the 'Enrol Online' button next to the course you want to enrol on.

    Check that you have chosen the correct start date/time, if there is more than one.

  3. Complete and submit the online form.

    After we get this, a member of our team will contact to take your payment. When enrolling on certain courses however, you will be directed to CAL’s self-service enrolment portal.

Enrolment portal

First time users of the portal will need to 'Create an Account' at the login screen. (Make a note of your login password for future enrolments!)

If you have enrolled in the past, you may already have a portal account and will be notified that an account already exists. If so. please use the 'Forgot your password?' function to reset. You will then follow the step-by-step enrolment process through to the payment stage.

Existing portal users need to enter their login details to be able to check/update your personal details and pay for your course.

Note: Your enrolment is not complete until you have signed the Learning Agreement Declaration and paid, if applicable.

You will be emailed a receipt to confirm your enrolment, after payment is made.

  • Our enrolment portal makes your future enrolments with us very quick as you do not need to fill out all your details each time.
  • You can also log on at any time to:
    • upload your ID or evidence documents;
    • or to see a record of your past enrolments/payments and learning agreements.

Other ways to enrol

By post

You can complete the enrolment form in the centre of our brochure. Also enclose either:

  • a cheque for the correct amount (made payable to Calderdale MBC);
  • or a copy of your proof of benefit documents, if you want to apply for a fee waiver.

Please return to:

  • Enrolments, Calderdale Adult Learning

    Unit 4, Heath Campus

    Free School Lane


    HX1 2PS

Please note: Your enrolment is not confirmed until we receive payment. Therefore, if you wish to pay by debit/credit card there will be a delay until we have received your form and contacted you.


In person

You can enrol at Heath Campus. This is recommended if you need extra support with completing your enrolment. (Please check our opening hours before visiting.)

Enrolling on an English, Maths or ESOL course

You must have an Initial Assessment (skills check), before you enrol. This is to:

  • Establish your starting point;
  • and make sure you are placed in the correct class at the right level for your needs.

To find out about our next assessment dates and to book a place, please contact us:

Early enrolment discount for 2022/23

On most of our courses, there is a 20% discount if you enrol and pay in full by 9th September.

ID and documents required

As part of the enrolment process or before you attend your first class:

  • If you have applied for an unemployment/low-income fee waiver, we will ask you to provide relevant documents to evidence this.
  • We must also verify a form of ID for all new learners, so please have this available at the centre. This can be a driving licence, passport or bank card.
  • If you are doing an accredited course with us. We may need to see your photo ID when we register you for the exam.

Paying for your course

Course funding and eligibility

Most courses that we offer are partly or fully subsidised by the Government. This is through the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA). The purpose of this funding is to support learners in England to develop their knowledge and skills.

To allow us to claim the funding for your course you will need to:

  • confirm you are aged 19 or above on 31st August 2021;
  • have lived in the UK/EU/EEA for at least the last three years. (There are some exceptions to this that our Adult Learning Administration Team can tell you about);
  • be resident in Calderdale or within Leeds City Region;
  • read our terms and privacy notice then fully complete a Learning Agreement/Enrolment form;
  • complete specific paperwork during your course, such as an Individual Learning Plan to record your progress.

Fees and waivers

All learners are to pay at the time of enrolment. Course fees are set in-line with our fees policy. They will include tuition costs, materials and examination/assessment fees where applicable.

Some courses are free to everybody as they are fully subsidised by the government. Others are free in certain circumstances (see end column in current course brochure) by way of a fee waiver. You may be eligible for a free course (fee waiver) if you get:

  • Job Seekers Allowance (JSA);
  • Employment Support Allowance (ESA);
  • Universal Credit. (If you want to get a job and think that skills training will help you);
  • Low income.

Your enrolment cannot be processed unless you give current evidence of your entitlement to a fee waiver:

  • with your enrolment form;
  • by uploading your documents on our online enrolment portal;

  • or when you enrol in person.

Please see the table below for evidence we will need to see:

Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)evidence we need to see at enrolment
Benefit Evidence to provide at enrolment
Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) A photocopy of your original letter from the Job Centre, dated within the last three months. Alternatively, a letter from them confirming you are still receiving the benefit. If your original letter is more than 3 months old please also bring a current bank statement. This needs to show the payments made in the last three months. All documents must be in your own name.

For Universal Credit you must have been determined by Jobcentre Plus as:

  • being in one of the listed groups;
  • and earn less than £345 per month (sole claim) or £552 (joint claim).
Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
Universal Credit (Work Related Regimes: Work-Related Requirements Group, Work Preparation Group, Work-Focussed Interview Group)
Low Income (below £19,305 annual gross salary) A contract of employment that states your gross monthly/annual wage, or a P60 and payslips dated in the last three months. You must not be in receipt of any benefits in addition to earnings.

Methods of payment

You can pay your course fees (if applicable):

  • online: when you enrol via our new online enrolment portal (available for selected courses only)
  • in person: Bring your enrolment form and pay by cash, cheque or card at the Heath Campus;
  • by post: Enclose your cheque with your enrolment form;
  • by phone: Indicate on your enrolment form that you want to pay by credit or debit card over the phone  and we will contact you to process your payment.

Please note: Your place on your chosen course(s) is not secure until payment has been made.

Can I spread the cost of my payments?


Where an individual fee is over £150, you can pay the balance in two instalments.

If you want to choose this option, please indicate this on Section 7 of the enrolment form.

Refunds and withdrawals

We will only give a refund if:

  • your class closes;
  • or you give advance notice that you will not be taking up your place on a course. Note: This must be no later than 21 working days before the course start date .

You must contact: Adult Learning Administration team who will make a note of your withdrawal. You will be asked to give confirmation (with the reason), in writing.

If you withdraw after the course has started, you will not be entitled to a refund.

For more advice, contact: Adult Learning Administration team.

More information

How do I know if I have a place on a course or not?

  1. If your application is successful, you will be allocated a place on your chosen course.
    • We will not send you confirmation of your place on the course.
    • Please assume you are on the course and turn up to your first class.
  2. If the course is full, you will be put on a waiting list and notified accordingly. You will be contacted as soon as a place becomes available.

Changes and cancellations

We aim to deliver all courses as advertised. However, courses can be cancelled or changed if:

  • enrolments are too low;
  • or in the event of unforeseen circumstances.

Note: Dates for enrolment are provisional and subject to change.


  • Every effort has been made to give accurate information.
  • Calderdale Adult Learning can accept no responsibility for errors or omissions.
  • We reserve the right to introduce changes to the information given here.
  • This includes the addition, withdrawal, relocation or restructuring of the courses.
  • Fees may vary from the published prices.

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful