Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Running your childcare provision

Advice and guidance on starting and running your own childcare provision.

Starting up and running your own childcare provision can be rewarding, but there are many things to consider. We have put together some information and guidance to help you.

On this page:

You can also contact the Early Years Learning and Childcare team for advice and guidance.

To do this for free, contact: Early Years Learning and Childcare team.

We can take your service's details, store them on our database and publish them on our childcare site. This includes: vacancies, opening hours, fees, school pick-ups and such.

Information will be sent to parents and professionals seeking advice about childcare and early years provision in Calderdale.

To view your details, please see: Childcare search.

Marketing your business

  • We can support you with advice.
  • We also offer a free 'Area Profile' with population numbers and expected demand, along with the existing supply of childcare.

The key to success is to know and meet your customers' needs and regularly review and update this information.

For more on the childcare market in Calderdale, please see: Childcare sufficiency assessment.

Nursery milk scheme

Under this scheme, children under five can receive 189 ml (1/3 pint) of milk, free of charge. This is for each day they attend approved day care facilities for 2 hours or more.

Babies under 12 months old can receive dried baby milk made up to 189ml (1/3 pint) instead.

Day care providers, approved to supply milk under this scheme, can be reimbursed the cost of the milk they supply.

For more details of the scheme, please visit: Nursery milk scheme.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

Offers e-learning packages, webinars and videos. These are to help you with Tax, National Insurance, record keeping and registering:


  • Tax advice for childminders. An e-learning package which covers topics such as, record keeping, national insurance and business expenses.
  • Becoming an employer. A guide for new employers, ideal for childminders looking to set up their own nursery. It covers what an employer is responsible for when they take on their first employees.

Webinars and video guides

  • Self employed and HMRC - what you need to know. A guide to help understand Tax and National Insurance. Also covers the special tax concessions available for childminders. Topics include: registering, national insurance, record keeping, expenses and allowances and completing your tax return.
  • Getting started as an employer. A guide for new employers when starting to take on your first employees.
  • HM Revenue and Customs You tube channel. This has a series of 'bite sized' videos. These include a 10 minute video just for childminders, in the HMRC guides for customers section.

Other guides

More information

  • This aims to help new members and those who are not familiar with the childcare sector.

  • Foundation years. For those delivering services to children and families going through pregnancy or who have children aged 0 - 5 years. It offers information developed by government, professionals and also the voluntary and community sector.
  • Food Standards Agency. An independent Government department, responsible for food safety and hygiene across the UK. It works with businesses to help them produce safe food and with local authorities to enforce food safety regulations.

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful