Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Gas problems in your home

If you smell gas

If you smell gas, or you think an appliance is dangerous, contact: National Grid immediately. They will give you the appropriate safety advice depending on the circumstances.

Unsafe or faulty gas appliances

It is illegal for anyone to use a gas appliance if they suspect it is unsafe. The most dangerous appliances still in use are open-flued gas appliances. These units are not sealed and the burnt gases or carbon monoxide can escape into the room contaminating the air.

Your landlord has a legal responsibility to ensure all gas pipe work, appliances and flues in the property are maintained in a safe condition and are inspected regularly.

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be caused by gas appliances in the home that have been incorrectly installed, have blocked flues or insufficient ventilation.

Every year 30 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of gas appliances incorrectly installed or not properly maintained. People who sleep in rooms containing open flued gas appliances that are left burning at night are most at risk.

What are the danger signs to look out for?

Carbon monoxide symptons include headaches, nausea, dizziness, breathlessness, collapse, and loss of consiousness
  • Staining, soot or discolouration around a gas fire or around the top of a water heater or central heating boiler.
  • A yellow or orange flame in the gas appliance.
  • For the tenant, the onset of symptoms such as tiredness, headache, nausea, giddiness, pains in the chest and stomach (these symptoms can often be mistaken for cold or influenza).

What you can do

  • Ensure there is adequate ventilation in the room.
  • Fit an audible carbon monoxide monitor to alert you of unacceptable levels.
  • If think your gas appliance, gas pipe work or gas flue is unsafe contact your landlord immediately.
  • If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:
    • Get everybody out of the house and into fresh air.
    • Open all doors and windows to ventilate the property.
    • Do not turn off electrical switches.
    • Extinguish all naked flames. (Do not smoke, strike matches or do anything to cause ignition.)

What we can do

  • Provide support, advice and guidance if your landlord is refusing to carry out repairs.
  • We may be able to take enforcement action against your landlord. (If they fail or refuses to maintain gas pipe work, appliances or flues in a safe condition.)

For more about unsafe gas appliances in properties, visit: Health and safety executive: Gas safety .

Gas certificates

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 2004 applies to all rented property that have gas appliances. All landlords must:

  • Make sure all gas pipe work, appliances and flues are inspected once a year. This has not be someone who is registered with Gas Safe (Gas Safe has replaced CORGI).
  • Keep gas safety record (was called the gas safety certificate) for 2 years.
  • Give tenants with a copy of the gas safety record within 28 days of the tests being carried out or before they move in.

Landlords are responsible for repairing any defects which are identified on the gas safety record. All repairs and maintenance on gas appliances must be undertaken by a registered engineer. For more details, visit: Gas Safe .

What you can do

  • Ask your landlord for a copy of the current gas safety record.
  • If you own any gas appliances in your property, it is your responsibility to get them checked. However, your landlord may be responsible for the maintenance of any gas pipe work to the appliance or flue from it.
  • If your landlord refuses to undertake safety tests on your appliances, you can report them to the Health & Safety Executive.

What we can do

  • If your landlord refuses to undertake any necessary works recommended on the gas safety record we may be able to assist; contact Environmental Health.

Report a repair problem with a private landlord

Here is additional information about Gas safety - tenants