We want all members of the community of Calderdale to feel safe from extremism and terrorism. We want communities and professionals to have the ability to recognise and identify extremist views. To have the confidence to challenge these views in a way that does not undermine the principle of free speech, but balances this with the principles of our shared values.
We want to make sure that all specified authorities have the mechanisms and structure in place to identify and support those vulnerable to extremism and to deal with concerns around terrorism swiftly and safely.
Preventing violent extremism is one of the '4 Ps' within the Government’s strategy for countering violent extremism, known as 'CONTEST':
- Prevent: stopping people becoming terrorists or supporting violent extremism.
- Pursue: stopping terrorist attacks.
- Protect: strengthening protection against terrorist attacks.
- Prepare: where an attack cannot be stopped, mitigating its impact.
The current PREVENT strategy is made up of three key objectives:
- to respond to the ideological challenge of terrorism and of those extremist views conducive to it;
- to prevent vulnerable people from being drawn into terrorism and ensure that they are given appropriate advice and support; and
- work with sectors and institutions where there are either risks of radicalisation or opportunities to prevent it – or both. This includes education, faith, health, charities, prisons and probation. The strategy spells out what the Government is planning in each area and also looks at the particular issue of the Internet.
The definition of extremism is:
This is vocal or active opposition to fundamental British values, including democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs. We also include in our definition of extremism calls for the death of members of our armed forces, whether in this country or overseas.
Please refer to the current:
What opportunities are there to get involved with PREVENT?
The Calderdale Prevent Community Reference Group (CPCRG) is a community-led group. it consist of organisations and individuals from across Calderdale. Its purpose is to allow the community of Calderdale to:
- share ideas;
- discuss issues of concerns;
- and have a voice on how PREVENT is delivered within Calderdale.
We do not ask for you to agree with Prevent to join the group. We just ask for you to engage constructively.
For more details or for any questions, contact Prevent by email:
- The Prevent Co-ordinator
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org