Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Postal addressing

Here developers and property owners can find guidance on how to get postal addresses.

What postal addressing is

Our Postal Addressing Service creates new street names and numbers properties when new developments are built. It can also change the number and name of a property or street. This is why it is sometimes called Street Naming and Numbering.

What an official address is

The vast majority of existing properties have an official address. However, sometimes new developments are built and named. These properties may have been converted and named without our Postal Addressing Service being made aware.

These 'unofficial' addresses can come from many sources, such as:

  • The developer's description of a development on a planning application.
  • A developers marketing name.
  • The Land Registry.
  • The Royal Mail.
  • The Council Tax Service.

However, it is only the Postal Addressing Service that has been given the legal responsibility to create 'official' addresses. Stated under the provisions of the Towns and Improvement Clauses Act 1847, Section 64-65.

Why you need an official address

It is only our Postal Addressing Service that follows national standards and guidance to create or change a new address. No other organisation can provide this service.

This is important as the general public, emergency services, utility companies and other delivery services need a unique address that is easy to understand and find.

Without an official address, it can affect the:

  • Delivery of post.
  • Connection of utility services such as gas and water to the property.
  • Verification of identity when getting goods and services online.
  • Land Registry registration of the property.
  • Ability for emergency services to locate the property.
  • Ability to get dustbins and have waste collected.
  • Ability to get voting papers.
  • Ability to get goods delivered to the property.

How to get an official address

Points 1 to 3 below will be needed for:

  • New Developments.
  • New developments, including new streets.
  • Changes to single existing property names/numbers.
  • Changes to existing unoccupied street names.
  • Queries that seek an official address to be confirmed or investigation of an addressing issue.
  1. The correct form:

    Please read the Postal Addressing Privacy Notice before submitting an application. This explains how we deal with your information:

  2. A plan that:

    • Is either scale 1:1250 or 1:500.
    • Clearly identifies the property (s) to be addressed (edged in red).
    • Clearly shows the layout of the development, including the site boundary and adjacent streets/roads.
    • Clearly shows the layout of any new streets, the extent of the street where requested to change the street name.
    • Clearly shows the footprint of all new buildings (edged in red) and the plot numbers.

    Also, for all queries and applications to:

    • Clearly show where the main access to the property is and indicate where the main delivery point is. For example, letterbox(es).
    • A north point.

    (There is no need to include details of any trees or street works).

    Please note: If you use the plan that was submitted with a Planning or Building Control application, we will assume that you have the authority to do so. (Permission may be needed from the person who drew it).

  3. The correct fee. Please see: Fees and Charges below.

Changes to existing names, numbers of several properties or street name, where the street is occupied

Where a number of properties will be affected by your proposed change in address:

  • Give evidence that the other property owners agree to the proposed change.

Where you propose a change to a street name, where the street is already occupied:

  • Give evidence that two-thirds of the Council Tax payers in the street agree to the change.

In both cases, use this form and submit it with your application form, plan and fee:

Please note: Failure to submit any of the above (including edging the property(s) in red) will mean that your application will not be progressed. We will write to you to inform you why and ask you to make any necessary amendments and/or submit the correct fee/outstanding information. You will be provided with a timescale for doing this, after which, if you do not respond, we will close your application.

How do I submit and pay for my application?

To submit the application form and plans, email:

To pay the fee, phone: 01422 392237 to make a card payment. Please note we do not accept cheques. See Fees and Charges for the correct fee for your application.

What happens next?

The Council will:

  • Register your application on our postal addressing system
  • Identify it as either invalid (and dispose of it after a month) or valid
  • Ensure the proposed name and/or numbering complies with the Addressing Guidelines, which includes checking historical records, internal and external databases.
  • Only where a new street name is proposed, consult with Ward Councillors, Royal Mail and the emergency services to check that there are no problems with the proposed name(s). (Please note that the consultation period is upto 28 days, longer if any negative comments need to be resolved)
  • Once all checks have been carried out and in the case of a new street name being proposed, when this has been agreed, number the buildings on the submitted plan.
  • Submit the address(es) with a copy of the plan to Royal Mail to obtain the correct post town and postcode. (Please note this may take up to 2 weeks)
  • Once Royal Mail have confirmed these - update our addressing system to register the official address(es).
  • Notify the applicant of the full postal address(es).
  • Notify the organisations listed in Notifications.

Please note: Once the development is complete, it is the applicants responsibility to notify Royal Mail so that the addresses can be added to the Postcode Address File (PAF). If this is not done, the address(es) will remain on Royal Mails 'Not Yet Built' (NYB) file, which may cause problems for deliveries. As many other companies use Royal Mails PAF database, it may also cause issues when trying to access other goods and services, such as broadband.


If the development includes new streets, please allow at least ten weeks from the application submission to the time you need the addresses. For all other developments, please allow at least six weeks.

Make sure you plan ahead as utilities are unlikely to connect your property unless you have an official address.

The applicant for the new or changed street name is responsible for the street name plates. Please see the specifications for the frames and the street name plates:


Addressing guidelines

National guidelines, conventions and laws that apply to residential and commercial properties are used to create or amend an address. Company names do not form part of a property address.

New street and property names

Applicants can put forward names for new streets and properties. Names of local or historical significance are encouraged, but we may reject names if they:

  • Duplicate or are similar to existing ones in the same or a nearby postal district. (The use of an alternative suffix, such as Avenue, Gardens or similar, is not acceptable.)
  • Are likely to cause offence to members of the public. Also, if they can be easily vandalised on a street nameplate in order to cause offence.
  • Are difficult to spell or likely to cause confusion when given over the phone, particularly in an emergency.
  • Are socially or politically sensitive.
  • Incorporate personal or business names, except in cases of historical significance.

Please note: There is no guarantee that we will approve a development marketing name as the street or property name. Unless, we have agreed the name in advance, which will require an early application.

Property numbers and names


We will always give a property a number if possible. This should be displayed on the front of the building, so that it can be easily seen.

In general, we shall number properties on the left-hand side of the road with odd numbers, including 13, (unless specifically requested to omit it). And even numbers on the right-hand side, (viewed with your back to the access point to the new development).

Where new properties are being inserted into one side of a street, we:

  • Will try to follow the numbering order of the existing properties on the street in terms of how they ascend and descend.
  • May make exceptions to this on streets with unconventional layouts.

    Flats or office blocks will generally be numbered from the lowest floor upwards.

Please note: The plot numbers on planning application and building control plans are not used for official addressing.


You may give your property a name as well as a number, for example, Rose Cottage. If an address includes a number, that will still form part of the official address. Note: The number must still be displayed on the building.

In some situations, a building name may be appropriate instead of a number. (The same addressing guidelines above must be applied.)

Examples of this are:

  • On streets where all properties are named rather than numbered.
  • Also, farm conversions. (Where farm buildings are being converted to domestic use, we normally use the existing farm name. This would be used with a suffix, such as barn, cottage or similar.)

Street names

We include a street name in every address. If a property does not directly face a named street, this will be the street your access leads off from.

If you think we have used the wrong street name for your property, please email:


The locality is not an essential part of the address as long as you use the postcode because:

  • It can be difficult to define locality boundaries;
  • and it is not always included in official documents or lists.

Post town and postcode

Royal Mail define Post town boundaries and allocate postcodes. We cannot alter this part of the address. When we are addressing the property, we shall contact Royal Mail so that they can confirm these elements.

There are six post towns in Calderdale:

  • Halifax: HX1, HX2, HX3 and HX4.
  • Elland: HX5.
  • Sowerby Bridge: HX6.
  • Hebden Bridge: HX7.
  • Brighouse: HD6.
  • Todmorden: OL14.

Address format

Where we can, we will give an address of five lines at the most, for examples:

Format Example 1 Example 2
Number and name of street

Locality (if needed)

Post town


1 Northgate




1 Church Lane




If the address includes a name or is flats, offices or terrace houses, the format should be:

Format Example 1 Example 2
Number and name of address

Name and number of street

Locality (if needed)

Post town


Flat 1, Northgate House

1 Northgate




1 Guildford Terrace

Surrey Lane





When a new or altered address has been confirmed, we will inform these organisations:

  • West Yorkshire Fire Service;
  • West Yorkshire Police;
  • Yorkshire Ambulance Service;
  • Royal Mail;
  • Ordnance Survey;
  • Land Registry;
  • Valuation Office;
  • British Gas;
  • British Telecom;
  • Northern Powergrid;
  • United Utilities;
  • Yorkshire Water.

This is so services can be connected and land ownership can be registered.

The address will also be circulated within the Council. This is to make sure your property gets our services, such as:

  • dustbins;
  • and voting papers.

Postcode Address File (PAF)

The Postcode Address File (PAF) is maintained by the Royal Mail. It is used by many companies as their address database for websites or for deliveries. When the Council notifies Royal Mail of new development addresses, they will be added to the 'Not yet built' list. Once the building is complete, the applicant must contact Royal Mail to request the addresses to be transferred to the PAF.


A postcode is only given to properties that can receive mail. This will not include properties like churches or farm buildings. Correspondence for these properties need to have a separate billing address.

Postcodes will cover several properties. In an urban environment, this will often cover a single street or part of it. In more rural environments, the area covered can be larger, thus less accurate when used in a geographical context, eg satellite navigation (satnav). For more about this, visit: Royal Mail PAF code of practice .

If you are told that your address does not exist

This could be because:

  • the PAF does not yet include your new or changed address (if Royal Mail have not been informed that your property has been completed it may still be on the 'Not Yet Built' File);
  • there is an error in the PAF;
  • you are giving a slightly different version.

To confirm your address and to request a change to the PAF if needed, see: How Do I get an Official Address above.

Please Note: There is a fee for this service, see: Fees and Charges below.

Fees and charges

Service Fee to 29th February Fee from 1st March
New street name £150 per street £200 per street
Numbering/naming of new (including conversions) residential and commercial units £100 + £25 per plot/unit £150 + £40 per plot/unit
Re-naming or re-numbering an existing address £100 + £25 per plot/unit £150 + £40 per plot/unit
Change of a street name where it is occupied £200 + £25 per plot/unit on street £250 + £40 per plot/unit on street
Retrospective addressing for new developments (ie where an unofficial address has been used or where a revision is required after we have notified organisations of the official address)

£150 + £25 per plot/unit

£200 per street

£200 + £40 per plot/unit

£250 per street

*Plot to Postal (ie matching plot numbers from the planning or building control plans to the new official addresses) £50 £70
Provision of official address confirmation for customer £25 per address £40 per address
Request to investigate any address anomaly (Complex) £50 per address £100 per address
Correction to Council's record Free £30 per address

*You can compile the chart yourself. Plot numbers can be found in the layout plan of the relevant online planning application: Search planning applications.

Enter the application number or details of the site location or applicant to find the application. All documents relating to the application can be found under the Documents tab.

This can then be compared with the layout plan.

Also, see: Refunds.


When you cannot be refunded

  • Where an application form and fee has been submitted and a scheme has already been issued.
  • Where street naming has been submitted for the consultation process.

When you can have a refund

A £50 administration fee will be deducted in these cases.

  • Where a property name addition or amendment application and fee has been submitted.
    • If the name is not acceptable, we will ask for another name.
    • If no other property name is suitable and the existing address is to be kept.
  • Where the Postal Addressing Service has worked on an application or query and you decide to withdraw.

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful