Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Residents' parking zones (RPZs)

Find details of resident parking schemes and how you can apply for one.

These can be set up in areas where residents have issues with on-street parking. These problems are generally caused by vehicle congestion, often from businesses, shoppers or commuters.

The residents' parking zones (RPZs):

  • Do not guarantee a space for resident permit holders.
  • Do reserve spaces just for resident permit holders.
  • Do increase the chance for residents to park closer to their home.
  • Do require residents to apply for permits.
  • Do have a fee of £25 per permit each year. Please note: This fee will increase to £35 from the 1st October 2023.
  • Do need a legal Traffic Regulation Order (TRO).

We get many requests for these schemes each year. They cost of around £5,000 to complete, so, it is not possible to progress them all to the feasibility and consultation stages.

  • We will assess and rank all requests that are received.
  • For our program of works we will prioritise areas with recorded accident statistics that are injury related.

To check if the area you are concerned about meets our criteria, please visit: CrashMap. (You will need to register to access the free information.)

To request a new scheme or the removal of a current scheme, please see: Minor Traffic and Parking Improvements Policy.

When we would look to put a street into an RPZ

Where we received a number of complaints to say there is a problem with parking in your street. We will then look at ways to improve things.

An RPZ would protect your street from displaced and inconsiderate parking from commuters and other visitors to the area.

You can tell us what you think

To introduce an RPZ, we must consult with residents in your street to make sure we listen to your views and ideas.

  • This also gives us the chance to explain to you what our proposals are.
  • All residents will have the chance to comment and vote on the proposals.

For a scheme to go ahead

  1. We need 50% or more of the affected road/street to respond to the consultation.
  2. 75% of those that respond must be in favour of a scheme.

A scheme will not go ahead if the above criteria is not met.

Also, we would not consider another scheme in the same street/road for a minimum of 5 years. This would be from the date the consultation was completed.

Road markings

We do not always have to put road markings down on your street. Many streets are suitable for signs at the entrance that state, 'Permit holders parking only past this point'.

Days and hours a scheme will operate

These can differ between resident schemes and are often dependent upon the nature of the issue. They tend to be from Monday to Friday between 8am and 6pm or 8am and 7pm.

The scheme's times for your street will depend on the outcome of the consultation.

Private and unadopted streets

These can still be defined as a highway if the public have access to pass (drive) over it. This means that parking restrictions can be placed on them.


  • You must buy permits if you or visitors want to park on the road in an RPZ during operational hours.
  • You do not need to buy a permit to park on your own private drive.

Important note: Residents' permits are not linked to Council/Road Tax in any way. If you do not want to buy permits you do not have to. However, if you park your vehicle within a resident zone without a permit you may receive a Penalty Charge Notice.


They are chargeable as the administration, enforcement and maintenance of resident parking zones costs the Council a considerable amount of money each year. The charge means that these zones can be mostly self-financing.

For permit fees, please see: Resident and visitor permits.

How many permits you can have

In most schemes you can apply for a maximum of three permits. These can be in a combination of resident (vehicle specific) or visitor permits.

You do not have to apply for these together and can buy one permit at a time to spread the cost. All permits are issued for a duration of 12 months, from the start date selected by you in your application.

Note: You do not need to have a car to buy visitor permits.

For more about permit types, see: Permit types.

Workers and visitors

  • During operational hours these people will need to use a visitor permit to park in your street.
  • Outside the operational hours, they do not need a permit.

If you do not have enough permits or there are not any spaces on your street, they must park in another area.

Blue Badge Holders

Blue badges do not allow you to park in RPZs. You must display a permit.

Parking enforcement

Street are patrolled by our Civil Enforcement Officers (CEOs).

Any vehicle seen to be parked without a valid permit during operational hours will be issued with a PCN.

It is important that all residents and visitors display permits clearly in their windscreen.

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful