Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Verges and trees

If there are problems with highway verges, trees or overhanging vegetation, you can find out how to contact us.

For any queries, please Contact us.

Highway verges

Most highway verges and landscaped areas along the highway are maintained by us. The grass is cut on a regular basis to keep them in good condition.

Grass verges are an attractive part of our highways. Please do not park or drive or ride over them. You may cause:

  • Irreparable damage to the grass;
  • or costly damage to services running underneath them, such as gas pipes, electricity cables or cable TV apparatus.

It should be noted that in some areas the grass verges and landscaped areas are not public. These will then be maintained by the owners, residents association or Together Housing for example.

Highway trees

Trees that grow in highway verges and footways are classed as highway trees or street trees.

These were planted with good intentions many years ago to improve the public realm. However, many have matured to a size that can affect nearby structures like walls, footways, kerbs and roads.

The damage caused can mean that some trees need to be removed. Where possible replacement trees will be planted.

Felling is the last option, except for dead, dying or dangerous trees that threaten safe use of the highways/footways.

Overhanging vegetation

What it is

This can be hedges, trees, shrubs, bushes or any other type of plant that grows.

What the problem is

If this grows from within a property's boundary onto any footway or carriageway it can obstruct or endangers users. For example:

  • It may obstruct the footpath so pedestrians have to walk into the road.
  • It may prevent pushchairs or wheelchairs from getting past.
  • It may obstruct sight lines for vehicle users.
  • It can obstruct street furniture, such as street lamps.

These are all safety hazards and a danger, so we can enforce those responsible to cut them back.

Who is responsible

On Council land

A request to remove vegetation will be passed to the Service that 'owns' the land who will assess the problem.

  • Urgent requests will be looked at within a reasonable amount of time.
  • Others will be put on the areas work schedule. (This work will usually taking place in autumn or will fit in around other work.)

On private land

Any request will be passed our Community Protection Team. They look into the issue, given the information provided and will consider any how any highway is affected.

  • Potential hazards will take priority.

Please note: If it grows from private land and onto other private land, we cannot enforce its removal. This is a private matter. For more about this, visit: Over the garden hedge (GOV.UK).

What we might do

  • Nothing.

    In some cases, it may not be appropriate to take action right away. This could be that the impact is minimal or it is a low risk area. For these, we will inspect again to see if any risk has increased. Please note: We may not be able to notify you about this if there is high demand.

  • Write to the landowner and ask them to cut back the vegetation.

    This will be done when there is a significant impact on the highway.

  • Enforcement.

    If the landowner takes no action and there is still a risk to the public.

Due to the number of requests and changing priorities, we cannot give timescales for any requests. If you have given us your contact details, we will try to keep you updated.

Report a problem

Please complete our form: Contact us.

Include as much information as you can, such as:

  • The exact location.
  • What the issue is.
  • What impact it has on highway users.

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful