Translation disclaimer (Translation disclaimer)

This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.

(This content has been translated by a computer program and may not be 100% accurate.)

Street works, licences and dropped crossings

Find street works information here. This includes, road closures/diversions, skips, scaffolding and dropped kerbs.

Street works

Officers monitor and offer advice on working on the highway. Also, the permissions needed to protect contractors and members of the public whilst on the highway network. They make sure that business and individuals comply with legal obligations and work safely/efficiently, to minimise disruption.

The Streetworks team work closely with utility companies (Yorkshire Water, Transco, Northern Powergrid), Police and bus companies. This is to make sure works are done efficiently with minimal disruption. Also, that damaged apparatus is repaired as quickly as possible.

Road closures and diversions

Some highway works or large deliveries, need a road to be closed and an alternative route put in place. Road closures are managed by our Streetworks team. They will issue the necessary Traffic Regulation Orders to close a road, subject to the relevant charge.

During a road closure, it is the responsibility of the applicant to sign and maintain the diversion route. This should be agreed with the Streetworks team, in accordance with chapter 8 of the: Department of Transport: Traffic signs manual.

To find out about roadworks in your area, see: Roadworks.


The current fee for a temporary road closure is £775.

How to apply

To apply for a temporary road closure, contact Streetworks with full details:


Contractors who want to excavate in adopted highways or footways must make an official application. They must have full accreditation under the New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) 1991 to work on public highways.


Depending on the nature of the work, contractors who want to excavate an adopted highway or footway, must apply for:

  • a 'Private Opener' licence (fee is £148);
  • or a 'Section 50' licence (fee is £296).

How to apply

To apply for a Private Opener or Section 50 licence, contact Streetworks with full details:


When placing a skip on the adopted highway, the Skip Company or supplier must apply for a skip licence. It must be the skip company who applies for the licence as they will hold the correct Public Liability Insurance.

The skip company is responsible for the skip being in the right position on the road. It must not cause an obstruction and all other relevant regulations must also be met.

To apply for a license or for more details, see: Skip licence.

If a skip is causing an obstruction, report it:

Report pavement obstruction


You need a scaffolding license if (on or over the highways in Calderdale) you want to erect and maintain:

  • scaffolding;
  • hoarding;
  • or other structures.

Note: The scaffolding company must apply for the licence, as they will hold the correct Public Liability Insurance.

For more about this or to apply, see: Scaffolding licence.

If scaffolding is causing an obstruction or is dangerous, report it:

Report pavement obstruction

Dropped crossings or kerbs

A dropped crossing / kerb is an area of lowered pavement and kerb. This is to give vehicles access from the highway, across the footway, to the resident's driveway / hard-standing.

A dropped crossing, made to Calderdale Council specification, is required if:

  • the occupier of any premises adjoining or having access to the adopted highway mounts:
    • the footpath;
    • or grass verge to park a vehicle on their property.

Anyone can apply for a dropped crossing / kerb, if the reason is to park a vehicle on your property. If you do not own the property, a permission letter will need to be sent from the owner / landlord. This must accompany your application form.

To apply or for more details, see: Dropped crossings.

You may also be interested in: H bar road marking.

It is an offence to drive over the public footpath without an approved dropped crossing / kerb.

Note: The above is for domestic dropped kerbs only. For a commercial or business premises, please contact Streetworks:

H bar road markings

These are painted road marking in the shape of an elongated 'H' that are sited across a vehicular crossing.

It is white and extends across dropped kerbs from where each starts to taper down to the road surface.

These can be useful for residents who experience problems with accessing and exiting their driveways. This may be due to vehicles regularly and persistently obstructing access to properly constructed dropped crossings/kerbs. The marking is provided solely to highlight the presence of your driveway to others.

To apply or for more details, see: H bar road markings.

Webpage feedback

Was this page helpful? Rate this page helpful Rate this page unhelpful